The GVR Board of Directors relies on volunteer committees to pursue much of the business of the Board. Committees research issues, evaluate and prioritize requests, inform policy, make recommendations to the Board, and work with staff and members to advance goals. Committee members do NOT have to be full-time residents, but they must be GVR members.
If you’d like to get involved, please click HERE for more information or to indicate your interest. If you prefer a paper application, visit any staffed office for a hard copy (East Center, Las Campanas, West Center, Canoa Hills and Santa Rita Springs). DEADLINE: April 21.
The 2017 Summer Course Catalog is online and ready for viewing! Visit Classes and check it out!
April 25th at the West Center Auditorium
President: Jim Nelson
Vice President: Richard Kidwell
Secretary: Bob Allen
Assistant Secretary: Lance Heise
Treasurer: Barb Mauser
Assistant Treasurer: Joe Gunton
For additional information, read the March 28th Special e-Issue
In order to serve our members and allow employees time with their families, GVR will operate on a modified schedule for the upcoming holiday. Groups and individuals with current 2016 Christmas and New Year’s holiday reservations are not affected by these closures.
• Saturday, December 24 (Christmas Eve) – All GVR centers including pools/spas and fitness facilities will close at 6pm.
• Sunday, December 25 – All GVR Center fitness facilities, pools/spas, dedicated space, and multipurpose rooms will be closed all day with the exception of certain pools and fitness rooms listed below.*
• Saturday, December 31 (New Year’s Eve) – All GVR centers including pools/spas and fitness facilities will close at 6pm.
• Sunday, January 1 – All GVR Center fitness facilities, pools/spas, dedicated space, and multipurpose rooms will be closed all day with the exception of certain pools and fitness rooms listed below.*
GVR Pool/Spas & Fitness Facilities Open on Christmas Day and New Years’ Day
• Canoa Ranch pool/spa & fitness facility 5:30am-6pm
• Las Campanas pool/spa 6:30am-6pm & fitness facility 5:30am-6pm
• Santa Rita Springs pool/spa 6:30am-6pm & fitness facility 5:30am-6pm
• West Center pool/spa 6:30am-6pm
Thanksgiving Hours for GVR Centers
In order to serve our members and allow employees time with their families, GVR will operate on a modified schedule Nov. 23-24 for the Thanksgiving holiday. Groups and individuals with current holiday reservations are not affected by the modified schedule or closures:
• Wed., Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving Eve) – All GVR centers, including pools/spas and fitness facilities, will close earlier at 6 pm.
• Thurs., Nov. 24 (Thanksgiving Day) – All GVR Center fitness facilities, pools/spas, dedicated space, and multipurpose rooms will be closed all day with the exception of certain pools and fitness rooms listed below.*
*GVR Pools and Fitness Facilities Open on Thanksgiving Day
• Canoa Ranch pool/spa & fitness facility (5:30 am-6 pm)
• Las Campanas pool/spa (6:30 am-6 pm) & fitness facility (5:30 am-6 pm)
• Santa Rita Springs pool/spa (6:30 am-6 pm) & fitness facility (5:30 am-6 pm)
• West Center pool/spa (6:30 am-6 pm)
After much anticipation, the newly enhanced and enlarged Abrego North (ABN) Center pool and spa opened this morning with a “Big Splash” Grand Reopening and ribbon-cutting celebration with over 200 in attendance. The opening of the pool was an especially happy event for GVR’s members, leadership, and staff as it culminated a nearly two-year process of navigating difficult waters to rectify the failed pool.
After more than a year in development, Green Valley Recreation, Inc. (GVR) is launching a beta version of its new smart phone app for use by those with smart phones.
The new app will allow users to access locations and amenities available at GVR’s 13 centers, upcoming events and performances, lectures, trips and tours, class schedules and information on GVR’s clubs.
The app also includes an alert function, which will notify users of the closing and reopening of pools during thunder and lightning. This alert is automatically activated when you download the app.
GVR developed the app after receiving input from members about what information they would like to access from their phone or tablet. GVR’s mobile app is compatible with any android or apple device, including smart phones and tablets, and may be downloaded from the Apple Store or Google Play. Search for Green Valley Recreation, Inc. and look for the GVR logo.
App users are asked to share their comments and suggestions on the new app. Feedback on the app may be sent to ITDepartment@gvrec.org.
For the technically challenged, click here for the GVR App Guide.
The pool and spa deck work at East Center was completed ahead of schedule, and will reopen on Aug. 3! The deck was repaired and freshly painted.
The gloomy, overcast weather didn’t deter about 40 members, staff, board members, and water aerobics students from attending this morning’s Grand Re-opening celebration of the Desert Hills Center pool and spa at 9 am. The festivities included beach music, balloons, Hawaiian leis, and breakfast refreshments for everyone attending the event.
Senior Recreation Supervisor Maureen McCarthy greeted all attending, introduced staff, Board Vice President Tony Zabicki and Board Secretary Jim Nelson, and explained improvements made to the pool and newly replastered spa.
Facilities Supervisor David Coy demonstrated the new “Snap-lok” ladders and the moveable divider that can unhooked and pushed aside during the water aerobics class. Two new “Snap-lok” pool ladders pivot up out of the pool on hinges so that a swimmer can use the outside swim lane.
Following the brief welcome and demonstration, the Water Aerobics Class took to the newly enhanced pool for their class.
The cost to for the pool project was $10,786 and will be funded from GVR’s general operating fund. In 2017, the pool area decking is scheduled for replacement.
The pool was closed on July 5 for replastering of the spa, and the installation of lane anchors and dividers for the swim lanes. The plaster finish in the spa is an upgraded StoneScapes Mini Pebble Tec, and is expected to last over 10 years.
• The Desert Hills Center pool and spa was built in 1981.
• The pool holds 98,200 gallons of water.
• The main pool body surface area is 90′ X 40′.
• The pool’s depth ranges from 3′ to 6′ with 3 swim lanes.
• The average daily water temperature is 84 degrees.
• The spa is 13-6′ square and holds 4,000 gallons.
• The depth of the spa is 3-1/2′ deep and the average water temperature is 102 degrees.